Friday, December 20, 2013

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS By John Green




The Fault in our Stars
By John Green
Categories: Young Adult, Fiction
Hazel Grace has cancer. She carries around an oxygen tank and everyone besides her parents and “pre-cancer pal” Kaitlyn, see only a sick girl walking around. Hazel does nothing extraordinary and has to be coerced into attending a support group.


You would think that this is a bleak tale with only sorrow and sick children. Alas, it is not. It broke my heart and tore me down, yes, but it was also about the vast capabilities of the human heart. When Hazel meets Augustus Walters at Cancer Kid Support Group, all her preconceived notions about being at death’s door are challenged. And try as she might to resist, Hazel is pulled under the current that love creates.


There were several times while reading The Fault in our Stars that I had tears swimming in my eyes but they wouldn’t fall because I was also laughing. John Green creates a fine line on which to balance the reader’s emotions. Laughing out loud is not something you also expect to do while reading a book that makes your lip tremble as you try not to cry.
It was beautiful and sad. It’s worth the emotional roller coaster, I promise.

Favorite quote: “Oh, I wouldn’t mind Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment