Sunday, February 10, 2013

GONE GIRL By Gillian Flynn


GONE GIRL By Gillian Flynn

Categories: Mystery, suspense

There’s always going to be books you read that, once done, you think about it for a long time afterwards. Any book in my mind that I regularly recommend is usually one that grabbed hold of me and didn’t let go until hours after the last page was read, sucking me into a sticky web of character depth and plot twists.
Gone Girl was one of those books.
After two different friends said I needed to read this book, I was almost hesitant. Surely it couldn't be that good? But this story of a married thirty-something couple was superb. Meet Amy and Nick, who met in New York and had a relatively charmed life (or so it seems). Until it isn’t. Nick is the All American good-looking guy who falls for the crazy, lovable Cool Girl. Both lose their writers jobs in New York magazines and move back to Missouri to care for Nick’s demented father, cancer-ridden mother. It’s written in alternating viewpoints, in two different times of the couple’s relationship. The story ebbs and flows from the moment that golden Amy (gasp! Sigh!) goes missing from her home on the couple’s fifth wedding anniversary. I was captivated by Amy and Nick, each so likable as the lies and ulterior motives and depth of longing and hatred came creeping out.
It’s a twisted, consuming love that the Nick and Amy share. One quote that I threw out to my husband as his video game was loading “I thought we would be the happiest couple around. Not that love is a competition. But I didn't understand the point of being together if you’re not the happiest.”
This is one of those books that the plot pulls you effortlessly along, and I’d hate to give anything away by over sharing. As much as the ending was dark and ominous, it thrilled me a bit. I savored the ending, because it was poetic and fitting.
If you only have time for one read this winter, curled up on your favorite chair with the wind howling outside, make it this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment